Monday, September 12, 2011

Remember 9/11..off to Spain in one week.

I begin blogging on this historic day. Today is 9/11, which marks a decade since one of the most tragic events in the United States. As an American, my heart aches on this day knowing that so many families endured such horrible times knowing that their loved ones would no longer go home. I take a moment to remember all the fallen Americans, heroes and the thousands of innocent lives that died. Your suffering and the suffering of your families will continue to live my heart. 

Today has been a very interesting day, an epic day I would say. My mom made an offer to a beautiful house and for those of you who know my family and our situation you know this is a huge step. I am extremely happy and proud of my family for making this decision and I pray that this dream comes true because they truly deserve it. I would have loved to be a part of this new beginning for them but the fact that I had an input about the house and in a strange way got to pick it fulfills me. I will be back to Orange County to enjoy it soon. Also, my mom told me that she will be getting married this week! Whoa! Many important things have occurred today! 9/11/2011 is a day to remember forever. 

One week from today I will be embarking one of the most exciting experiences of my life. I will be arriving in Galicia, Spain where I will be working as a cultural ambassador also known as a language and culture assistant with the Auxiliares Program. I find myself in a very unique and exciting opportunity. I consider myself to be blessed and there is no better word for it. I have the support and love from my family and friends. I even have the encouragement from strangers I’ve met along the way and think that this is once in a lifetime opportunity. Also, I have the blessings from HIM, a higher power who has kept me strong and healthy to go forward with this commitment. 

Life has worked its magic for the past year and slowly but surely made me realize that this is the best decision possible. I was scared at first, excited but scared of the possible things that could have gone wrong and that can still go wrong. It is not easy for anyone to move to a foreign country especially alone and with minimal knowledge of what you’re getting into. However, while I’ve waited patiently the pieces slowly began to fall into place. Thanks to this decision I have met Chris, a great guy whose family and him will be welcoming me in Spain and opening their doors to help me get settled. I am extremely thankful to have them in my life. 

I had been feeling a bit uneasy about the whole “leaving for a year” situation. I can imagine that I will get home sick and miss my family very much but I am hoping to acclimate quickly. Going to the orientation a couple days ago was very beneficial and necessary. Returning auxiliaries shared their experiences with us and gave us tips on how to prepare for what lays ahead. I was very excited knowing that a lot of opportunities will come after completing this program. The returning students had nothing but amazing things to say about their experiences which made it more encouraging for me.  I worry not just about traveling Spain, I am also taking into consideration my life goals and future career path. I hope to reflect while I am abroad and find my niche. 

So I haven’t started packing per say but I did pick out my clothes today and unfortunately I am taking a lot of warm clothes. I heard it gets cold.  I figured that if I start the packing slowly it will be an easier transition both for me and for my family. Either way I will be gone in a week and it will be a pool full of tears the whole drive to LAX. The plan is to go celebrate the Mexican Independence at the Placita Olvera in downtown Los Angeles and then head to the airport that way I get to both show my Mexican pride right before leaving to the land of the Conquistadores and to spend happy moments with my family right before crying my eyes out. This will be a very interesting week and great year long journey of self growth. I am very especially excited to share my experiences through my blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment