Thursday, September 15, 2011

blog #3 L.A. trip that ended with nutella martinis and "best friends" necklace

After pressing the snooze button 10 times, I wake up late as always and quickly begin getting ready. I had to make it to L.A. for my eye exam and I was scared that I would not make it there on time. Time is of the essence but I run on brown people time, meaning I am always late. No matter how hard I try or how early I try to get somewhere I usually fail miserably.This is something that really bothers me about myself and that I am working on fixing. I find it rude and immature. I hope that this year abroad teaches me to be on time.

The most inconvenient thing about driving to L.A. is the traffic. It is always so unexpected and you have to hope and pray that you get lucky and not catch too much traffic. Fortunately, I was able to make it on time and get my eye dilated. Thanks to that I was blind for about 5 hours. It was not all that bad only because I bumped into my friend Tracie. We had been planning to hang out before I left and we finally got to catch up. She led the blind person (me) around Westwood and she was able to run errands with me which I was extremely thankful for it. I couldn’t leave Westwood without having Indian food from the restaurant down the street from my old apartment. We caught up and reminisced about our experience working at SEIU this summer. We could not believe the 8 week internship had gone by so fast. We missed our coworkers and the pay but we definitely did not miss all the driving we had to do. After enjoying a delicious Indian arroz con leche for dessert we walked past the weekly farmers market and said good bye. I realized that this was the second good bye out of many. The first good bye was this past weekend and they have only been getting harder. I will continue to think of it as if I was leaving for a month rather than a whole year.

At night I met up with one of my closest friends. Ana Paz had been working at the MTV studios all day for a movie premiere. We were supposed to meet up in Santa Monica afterwards since the studio is close by. Earlier I had been talking to a girl who will be doing the same program as me and we were talking about meeting up before we left to Spain. Turns out that she works at MTV and she was also working on a movie premiere. I asked them if they knew each other but they said they didn’t. I still think it’s a “small world”. The more people I meet the more I realize that everyone is somehow interconnected which I find extremely fascinating.

Ana and I had a great time at the Promenade. She recently moved up to L.A. which had been a dream of hers ever since I can remember. I knew that this outing would be a bit emotional because I would say bye to one of my best friends so I tried not to think about the fact that I would not see her for another year. Walking down the promenade, we bumped into a booth that sold necklaces. We searched for 15 minutes but nothing would win our heart over. Ana suddenly picked out a necklace with a broken heart that said “friends” and we both thought it would be the cutest thing if we could find the missing piece. A few seconds we both saw the missing piece which was “best”. Being the superstitious as always, we thought it was meant to be. We got one for one another and exchanged pieces. I now have the “friends” and she has the “best”. This moment meant a lot to me because she is one of the people that I love and care for the most. She has been dear to me since high school and I can really call her my best friend. I will miss her dearly but as she says “she will be living vicariously through my experiences”. Our amazing night ended with a delicious nutella martini that a bartender from a crepe restaurant made especially for us. We cheered and laughed about anything and everything just like best friends do. L.A. always makes me happy.

I just read my horoscope and this got me really excited for my trip. It reads “Passion and temptation might appear in your life, through a new person that you will meet and who will completely turn your senses upside down”.  I know the “maybe” is a bit annoying but I’m hoping that it turns into a “will”.

No comments:

Post a Comment